SRP 2003: Minutes of the General Membership Meeting
Society for Research in Psychopathology
Friday, October 17, 2003
1. Ian Gotlib, President, called the meeting to order.
2. Election: The election results were announced. Michael Green will be the new President-Elect, and the two new Board members will be Deanna Barch and David Miklowitz.
3. Treasurer’s Report: Michael Young reported there were 123 people pre-registered for the meeting, which is similar to recent years. He presented a report indicating a balance of roughly $22,000 in operating funds and $41,000 in investments. Income came primarily from meeting registration fees, dues, and educational grants from pharmaceutical companies.
4. Development Committee: Michael Green reported on the work of the Development Committee. The procedures developed by the committee for soliciting sponsorship funds were presented. The committee was able to raise $10, 000 in unrestricted educational grants this year to help pay for the meeting. This year’s sponsors were Eli Lilly and Bristol-Myers Squibb.
5. Website: Nancy Docherty reported on the new SRP website. The new site has many advantages over the old one. Meeting information, the membership directory, application forms, and information on the Society are available there. Members can update their own membership directory entries. Abstract submissions for the annual meeting are now submitted there as well, and can be processed by the Program Committee through the site and turned into the written program for the meeting.
6. 2003 Annual Meeting Reports: Sheri Johnson, 2003 ProgramChair, reported on this year’s program. There are three invited talks this year, in addition to those of the Zubin Award winner and the President. There also are three symposium submissions, 18 oral papers, and 108 posters presented or sponsored by members.
Richard Steffy, 2003 Local Host, reported that 175 people had registered for the meeting at last count, and 73 for the banquet. The Program Chair, Local Host, and their respective committees and assistants were thanked for organizing an excellent meeting.
7. Future Meetings: Deanna Barch described the locale and the Chase Park Plaza Hotel, which will be the site for next year’s meeting in St. Louis. The meeting will take place October 7–10, 2004.
Sites for upcoming meetings are as follows: St.Louis in 2004; Miami in 2005; New York in 2006 (possibly); San Diego in 2006 or 2007; Pittsburgh in 2007 or 2008.
8. Sunday Poster Session: There was a discussion about the Sunday poster session. It is not as well attended as the Thursday session, because some people leave the meeting early. Michael O’Hara moved that the Executive Board and the Program Committee for next year decide the issue, based on observation of the Sunday session at this meeting. Sue Mineka seconded, and the motion was passed.
9. Local Host Handbook: Suzanne King announced that a group of previous and current hosts of annual meetings had met and compiled a handbook for future local hosts.
11. The meeting was adjourned.