SRP 2003: Minutes of the Meeting of the Executive Board
Society for Research in Psychopathology
Executive Board Meeting
Sunday, October 19, 2003
Present: Deanna Barch, Nancy Docherty, Ian Gotlib, Michael Green, Daniel Klein,
Ray Knight, David Miklowitz, Susan Mineka, Michael Pogue-Geile, Tom Widiger, Michael Young,
Absent: Lee Anna Clark, Steven Silverstein, Deborah Levy, Scott Monroe
1. The meeting was called to order by Dan Klein.
2. It was agreed that it would be good to have the Newsletter Editors attend one of the Board meetings each year.
3. Sunday Poster Session: The possibility of changing the scheduling of the Sunday poster session was discussed. Attendance will be assessed this year, and the discussion will continue over e-mail.
4. Banquet: Some members have suggested that the banquet be less formal, less expensive, and more inclusive of students. Possibilities for changing the format of the banquet were discussed, including an extended cocktail hour and/or a buffet style supper. Michael Green also suggested that if the Development Committee could raise enough money, the dinner could be funded that way, which would allow more students and others to attend.
5. Fund Raising: The Development Committee will aim for $15,000 in total sponsorship funds for next year’s meeting.
The procedures for soliciting sponsorship funds from publishers were discussed. The Program Chair rather than the President will contact potential publisher sponsors.
6. Box Lunches: The decision of whether or not to have lunchtime speakers will be left up to the Program Chair. People who do not attend these programs will not receive lunches.
7. Grants: The idea was raised of submitting a conference grant proposal to NIMH. Dan Klein will contact Stu Steinhauer to see if he would be willing to write such a proposal.
8. Meeting Evaluation Form: A form was created by Steve Silverstein and Sheri Johnson for evaluation of the meeting this year. The Board discussed the form and made some suggestions for the future. These included: (1) Add questions about the banquet (attendance, preferences for possible formats); (2) Add an item asking about the respondent’s status (student, member, etc.); (3) Ask about preferences regarding the Sunday poster session; (4) Ask which individual sessions were the best and worst, and why; (5) Ask about content areas of interest.
9. Future Meetings: St.Louis in 2004; Miami in 2005; New York or San Diego in 2006 or 2007; Pittsburgh in 2007 or 2008; possibilities discussed for 2009 included Montreal and Quebec City.
10. Associate Members: There is no formal procedure for encouraging associate members to become full members after they graduate. This was discussed but not resolved. Michael Young will check his records to see how many “old” associate members there are.
11. The meeting was adjourned.